Skip to main content

Web Development Dilemma - Part 1

It's been a long time since I moved away from Desktop Applications Development. By then, my favourite Tool of Trade was VS.Net 2005, and Language was C#. Had to spent quite a lots of sleepless nights just to learn these. Developed few Applications too.

About 2 years ago I got a job to develop a Community's Membership Management and Loan Management System. The requirement was that members could apply for loans from the comfort of their home or workplace, without having to come to the community office to fill-up the form. Further, loans applications were to go through selected community members who were part of the loans approval/review committee. Earlier, they used to hold a meeting together on the weekend to study and process loans. While reviewing an application, they used to pull up old files of the loan applicants. Earlier work model was very tedious and data collection was time-consuming. So, the application had to be web-based with optimized work processes to save on time and effort. I did it, got accolades, was praised for efficiency and more work from the same client. But I had to go through a lot to get those brownie points and of-course money. Background story follows:

I was out of job (had recently left the job), newly married, out of money; problems, problems. I was confident though, and confidence came through responsibility of not just supporting myself but my wife and our future progeny. I did not know web-development, just knew a little HTML, No CSS, JS, jQuery or even PHP for that matter. I had four months to learn everything and get the job done. I was hungry, and didn't know when any new offer would come. So, I grabbed the opportunity and set out to do it. (I had to lie  though that I knew Web-Development.)

Since I was from .Net background, my obvious inclination was to turn to ASP.Net, but after few attempts I left it for PHP. PHP was easy to learn. I did not go for structured learning, I just learn whatever I could quickly to get the job done. While learning PHP I came to know about Frameworks, and decided to go learn a framework too, so following a friends suggestion, I went for Kohana and studied it for a while. Soon, I realized that I do not have enough time to learn a framework and build a structure for the required Application - Authentication, User Management, Roles and Capabilities, Content Management etc. I needed a programmable CMS instead of a PHP Framework, as the application would also serve as a information website and I couldn't afford to build so much in so less time.

After some time spent on Google, I picked Wordpress to be my platform for developing the application. I am glad now that I made the decision. Wordpress was easy to install, configure and get the site up and running in no time. I learnt how to build a plugin and developed the complete application as a plugin with lots of background processing - Automated Loan Application Review Level Elevation, Automated Emails to Review Committee Members on the event of New Loan Application, Automated Loan Installment Payment Reminder through SMS and Emails and more. I did struggle a lot while implementing AJAX in the website as the application was resource hungry and was running in a shared hosting environment, I even got banned unreasonably from a hosting provider without them offering any explanation. I had to optimize my code through AJAX and JSON. But, I did it with persistence, patience, eagerness to learn, spending lots of sleepless nights, gallons of coffee and ENO. Everybody is happy.

Now that I know more about web-development, I am thinking about upgrading the complete application while optimizing processes some more and make it mobile friendly for free as it was my first application.

Things I learnt: HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, jQuery, JSON, AJAX.

I did more jobs for the same client in the same platform, always evolving, always improving on the old learning.

Then I got a job to build an ERP Application which were to be integrated with Tally.ERP 9. I knew Tally Customization, and had successfully integrated Tally with other applications. My developed Tallydev Transfer (Excel to Tally Data Transfer Application) was also successful and loved by my clients for its simplicity. So, Once again I was confident about the whole thing. And then...

Read the Next Part : Web Development Dilemma - Part 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing Oracle 9i on RHEL5. (x86)

I must warn you that this article is as it is. It worked when I was installing the combo - a long time ago. I am not sure about the links available in this article. I am not maintaining this article anymore, (other than sprucing it up a bit for better reading). I am completely out of touch with RHEL or Oracle for that matter. Still, dont lose your heart yet. I am sure, with proper searching using the big brother - Google, you will find lots of more information relating to your work to help you finish what you are doing. Foreword Recently I joined Sqlstar International for my Oracle DBA course. Everything was going smooth. I completed my SQL Fundamentals with Oracle installed on Windows in my pc. But when classes started for DBA Fundamentals 1 I was at loss, as in my institute oracle was installed on Redhat Linux platform. I could have done all the solution of the text on windows but I decided to configure my own Linux box and install oracle on it to simulate the class environment.

Datatables and Wordpress Integration problem solved.

Note: Download a working demo plugin from this project's github repository . Like other wordpress developers, I had also faced the problem of integrating datatable (server side processing) with wordpress. I tried every tips, tricks and multiple ways to solve the problem, but couldn't do it. My ajaxified functions of the wordpress simple dint work. I din't have much time and had to finish a small project on time. So, I decided to skip it and go through the developer's way : the plugin developer had suggested and implemented. I dropped the required php file with some related modifications and called the url of the php file in the datatable options in my project. It worked after few small hiccups. I wasn't satisfied though, as i wanted the wordpress centric solution, instead of using some drop-in file to complement the functionality. I had vowed to look after this problem whenever I could get some time. (You may visit the url http://www.bearinghouse.net/orde

Web Development Dilemma - Part 2

Recently, I got a Job to build an ERP Application (More like Accounting Package with CRM). I started planning for the Application. I had some experience with Tally.ERP 9 and knew a bit about Accounting too. Once again I chose Wordpress Platform for the application development, as I was more comfortable with it. Application was to have multiple advanced features along with some of smart automated data sensing and processing, and selective data push (Semi-Automated) to Tally for Accounting Purpose. The application was to run in a LAN Environment and was connected with the Customer's Website to retrieve Customer Order submitted on the website (Customized Shopping Cart) for further processing.  I could develop fast in Wordpress, I was familiar with the system and environment. But due to multiple distractions, and tedious job (I hadn't anticipated lengthy coding and timing involved), the project had to be scrapped by the customer. The customer was gracious enough to forgive me